Introducing ChemPrep MOOC through Coursera
Preparation for General Chemistry
RUTGERS SUMMER SESSION 2014
Session starts Monday July 7, 2014
This summer, Rutgers will offer for the first time Preparation for General Chemistry—a free online class to help students prepare for success in general chemistry. This class is available to both incoming undergraduates as well as to advanced high school students. The course develops critical analytic problem solving skills within a chemistry context in order to facilitate a successful transition to the rigor and pace of college-level General Chemistry—a key gateway class required for many undergraduate majors.
ChemPrep is strongly recommended for all incoming undergraduate students who plan to take General Chemistry in the fall, and for advanced high school students who want to prepare for AP or Honors chemistry, improve their performance on College board subject-matter tests such as the SAT and ACT, or simply get a head start on their college studies.
MOOC stands for Massive Open Online Course. It is open to anyone in the world, completely free of charge! We will be utilizing a new, state-of-the-art eLearning system that provides each student with a customized educational experience that features:
- Adaptive eLearning technology that delivers personalized instruction and learning pathways
- Unlimited general chemistry practice problems, with guided and worked solutions
- 12 month unlimited online access to the eLearning system and course material
In addition, students enrolled in ChemPrep Online work directly with Rutgers chemistry professors and instructors who monitor each student’s progress and provide personalized feedback and instruction. ChemPrep is offered during the 2nd Summer Session at Rutgers (July 7 – August 15).
Topics covered in this course include (but are not limited to):
- Math skills review
- Measurement, unit conversion, and dimensional analysis
- Interpreting word problems and developing problem solving strategies
- Applying complex relations in analytic problem solving
- Matter and energy, and their relationship with chemistry
- Quantum theory, particle-wave duality, and the interaction of light and matter
- Lewis structures, bonding, molecular shape, and polarity
- Balanced chemical equations, limiting reactants, and mole rations
- Solutions, mixtures and measurement of concentrations
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I register?
Students can register for ChemPrep on the Coursera MOOC website. You will be asked a couple of short questions before you are officially registered!
Can I audit ChemPrep Online?
Being that this course is not for credit, anyone can take it as they please.
What are the pre-requisites for ChemPrep?
Though there are no official requirements, it is recommended that students have some familiarity with high school-level chemistry, as well as intermediate algebra.
What are MOOCs? How do they work?
MOOCs are Massive Open Online Courses, in which students from all over the globe may enroll. There is a plethora of classes being offered, from chemistry to writing to philosophy. All of these courses are free, and there is no required material that requires any form of payment.